Aluminium welding is a metal fabrication process of joining pieces of aluminium together using heat and filler material. Due to the unique properties of aluminium, this welding process could be complicated as it may include low melting point, high thermal conductivity, and susceptibility to oxide formation.
Lotus Steel utilizes the proper techniques and equipment essential to ensure successful and high-quality welds for aluminium.
Aluminium Welding Process at Lotus Steel
- Use appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) such as gloves, eye protection, and welding apparel.
- Choose the right aluminium alloy for your application. Consider factors such as strength, corrosion resistance, and weldability.
- Thoroughly clean the aluminium surfaces. Sometimes oxide layers are formed in aluminium materials. These oxides must be removed along with oil and other contaminants. This can be done using a stainless steel brush or chemical cleaners.
- Apply appropriate welding processes. These may include TIG Welding (GTAW – Gas Tungsten Arc Welding), MIG Welding (GMAW – Gas Metal Arc Welding) and Stick Welding (SMAW – Shielded Metal Arc Welding).
- Select filler materials compatible with the base metal. When choosing a filler material, consider factors such as strength, ductility, and corrosion resistance.
- Apply the right welding technique by maintaining a consistent travel speed to control heat input and minimise distortion. Implement proper weaving or oscillating techniques for adequate fusion. Use back-stepping on thicker sections to manage heat input and prevent distortion.
- After the welding process, immediately clean the welded area to remove any oxides or contaminants. Consider post-weld treatments such as wire brushing or chemical cleaning. It’s also crucial to inspect the weld for any defects to ensure that it meets the required specifications.
- Ensure proper ventilation and respiratory protection, especially when welding aluminium to prevent exposure to fumes.
Common Aluminium Grades used in Welding
Here are some common aluminium grades according to the Australian standard:
- 6060 Alloy – It has good corrosion resistance and good weldability. It is ideal in architectural applications, window frames and doors and general fabrication.
- 6061 Alloy – This type of aluminium has good corrosion resistance, good weldability, good formability and high in strength. It is perfect to use in structural components, automotive parts, marine applications and general fabrication.
- 6063 Alloy – It is known for its good corrosion resistance and good formability. However, it has slightly lower strength compared to 6061. It is commonly used in architectural applications (window frames, doors), extruded shapes for construction and piping and tubing applications.
- 6101B Alloy – It has high electrical conductivity, good corrosion resistance and good weldability. It is ideal for electrical conductors and bus bars.
- 6351 Alloy – Like other alloys, it has good corrosion resistance and good weldability. It has also medium to high strength. It is used in structural components and marine applications.
- 3003 Alloy – This aluminium alloy has good corrosion resistance and good weldability. It is suitable to use in sheet metal work and packaging materials.
- 5052 Alloy – It has excellent corrosion resistance, good weldability and good strength. It is ideal for marine applications, aircraft components and general sheet metal work.
These aluminium alloys are commonly used in various industries, including construction, transportation, and manufacturing. When sourcing aluminium in Australia, it’s essential to refer to the AS/NZS 1866 standard and consult with trusted suppliers or manufacturers like Lotus Steel. They provide quality and appropriate materials required for the intended application.
Why choose Lotus Steel’s Aluminium Welding services?
- Adheres to Standards – Lotus Steel adheres to the highest international and local standards. This ensures that their aluminium welding services not only meet but exceed our clients’ expectations. Our commitment to quality craftsmanship is reflected in every weld, setting the benchmark for excellence.
- Ensures Durability – Lotus Steel guarantees that its welds withstand the test of time, delivering a performance that surpasses industry standards.
- Tailored Solutions for Your Project – Lotus Steel has a team of professional welders who thrive on challenges. We are dedicated to offering tailored solutions to meet the unique demands of your project. From custom fabrication to intricate designs, we turn your vision into reality.
Experience optimum excellence and precision with Lotus Steel’s advanced aluminium welding services. From structural components to intricate designs, we have skilled welders to bring craftsmanship and innovative metal solutions to every project.
Contact us now to discuss your aluminium welding needs at (02) 9896 1846 or email email@example.com